Saturday, May 5, 2012

Textured Stenciling

Do you ever experiment on something you can toss in the trash if it doesn’t work out before you do a project?  That’s what I did.  I have a bunch of wooden craft frames from Michael’s that I keep in my craft closet.  One of my friends commented on my chalkboard frame I did last year so I thought I would make her one and try to add a textured stencil to it.  I bought the texture and Martha Stewart’s adhesive stencils from Michael’s as well. 

IMG_3629

These stencils are so cool.  They are bendable and have adhesive on the back.  You can apply it to anything, even a curved surface.  When you are finished you simply peel it off and wash it.  The adhesive quality is still there so it reusable. 

I used a Pampered Chef scrapper to apply my texture.  I have read that Dap dry wall repair can be used also.

IMG_3636

I squirted some on a plate and applied it onto the stencil.

IMG_3638

Carefully peel away the stencil and you have yourself a textured design.

IMG_3644

IMG_3648

After it dries you can paint it.

IMG_3650

When it dried I lightly rubbed chalk on the stencil to highlight the stencil.  You could dry brush paint on it as well for the same effect. 

IMG_3655

I added a photo of my friend’s son and wrote his name at the bottom. 

IMG_3661

I have to use a plate holder to display the frame because I painted it upside down and the hole for the stick that keeps the frame standing is on the top instead of the bottom.  Do you ever make silly mistakes?  I do more times than I care to count.

Here is the stencil on the corbel of my bar area.

IMG_3649

IMG_3654

If this doesn’t turn out then I will just sand and remove it.   I will let you know how it turns out.

sig

 

Linking to

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails